The Ocean Beach Vision Council (OBVC) is currently working to develop a document that will transform Ocean Beach in the same way that the Crissy Field plan transformed a former Army motor pool into the San Francisco waterfront's premier outdoor recreational facility. Announced by Mayor Gavin Newsom in March of 2008, the Council was formed with the goal of developing a set of planning alternatives with a 30-50 year horizon for the entire five-mile stretch of beach. The OBVC builds upon the work of Mayor Willie Brown's Ocean Beach Task Force, which developed recommendations for addressing erosion issues, natural resources and recreation and access concerns.
OBVC Members Include:
- Assemblywoman Fiona Ma
- Supervisors Carmen Chu and Jake McGoldrick
- Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) Superintendent Brian O'Neill
- Jared Blumenfeld of the Department of the Environment
- Scott Preston of the environment-based planning and design firm EDAW
- Clark Manus of Heller Manus Architects
- Jean Rogers of ARUP
- Lara Truppelli of Beach Chalet Brewery and Restaurant
- Gabriel Metcalf of the San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association.
Our Chapter's Involvement
While our chapter is not formally involved in the OBVC, we are actively attending meetings and working with the council to ensure the long-term vision for Ocean Beach includes the vision of Surfrider Foundation.
A formal website does not currently exist for the OBVC. Try these links to learn more about upcoming meetings, or feel free to contact us.