Started in 2005, International Surfing Day (ISD) is an international celebration of the love of surfing. The day was established by the Surfrider Foundation and partners to raise awareness and support for our world’s beach and coastal environments.
Now in its 16th year, ISD has grown into the largest global activation for Surfrider each year, with more than 200 events taking place worldwide in 2020.
ISD event locations have included Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Canada, France, the UK, Argentina, Japan, and more than 90 events in the United States!
Saturday June 20, 2020
Every day, the Surfrider Foundation and our volunteer activist network work to protect our coasts. On International Surfing Day, we take a moment to celebrate and enjoy the beaches and waves that we all love.
With much uncertainty this year as we approach ISD 2020, we are anticipating that most parts of the country will not be able to participate in large scale ISD events. With that in mind, we have developed some ways to still enjoy ISD even if you cannot go to the beach or can only visit in a limited capacity. This year, due to unique physical distancing guidelines we ask that you adhere to all local and state regulations when visiting your local beach.
Share the stoke
Due to the effects of the coronavirus, surfing and beach regulations throughout the country are constantly changing. Please check with local officials for the latest guidance and recommendations.
Ways to participate in ISD while maintaining correct physical distancing
- SHARING THE STOKE AT HOME—If your favorite beach or surf break is closed, we have put together some ways to share the stoke at home. Use the hashtag #InternationalSurfingDay and tag @Surfrider on your social posts. We will be highlighting your stay at home posts on International Surfing Day on Surfrider’s social channels.
TARP SURFING—Grab a tarp, your skateboard and a friend and get shacked on land! Check out this video for some inspiration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dascBgZyAmI
GETTING CREATIVE—There are lots of fun social media challenges out there like the #HomeBreakChallenge on Instagram where you can show off your creativity at home.
Use the hashtag #InternationalSurfingDay and tag @Surfrider @Surfridersf on your social posts. We will be highlighting your stay at home posts on International Surfing Day on Surfrider’s social channels.
- If your beach or surf spot is open, let’s do everything we can to keep it open and everyone healthy by following all recommended CDC guidelines.
In this case here are the things we suggest – solo beach clean up or surf session. If regulations allow, surf with a buddy in an uncrowded spot (while maintaining physical distancing). Use the hashtag #InternationalSurfingDay and tag @Surfrider on your social posts. We will be highlighting solo beach cleanups and solo surf session posts on International Surfing Day on Surfrider’s social channels.
How to enter
- Go surfing! (in the ocean or at home)
- Film yourself or have a friend film you (distantly)
- On ISD, June 20th post your video and tag @surfrider @surfridersf @surfrider_ca and #InternationalSurfingDay
- Couch surfing kings/queens
- Soul surfers
A highly esteemed panel of judges (aka your CA Surfrider staff) will analyze and score your “surfing” skills. Bribing is highly encouraged.
Winners will be announced on ISD, June 20th. 1st place in each division will win a prize! (We all know the best surfer is the one having the most fun!)